Sunday, February 13, 2011

2011 Surfers Marathon is History!

24 hours ago, at the time of writing, I was close to the Gonubie river, having done about 5 km over loose loose sand, and treacherous slippery rocks. Ahead of me, once across the river was the part of the race I was looking forward to...

The 2011 Surfers Marathon started a 14:30, at the Kwelera River Mouth. Almost 3000 participants on the roadway behind the Start, and 17km of sand, beach, rocks, and tar, with 2 river crossings, before the Lifesavers Shack at Nahoon Beach.

Knowing that I would take strain on the first third I started as close to the front as possible, and joined the rest of the lunatics in the mad gravel road sprint to the beach paths. Generally, once I hit the sand I wasn't too dismayed. I'd started the race with my left calf in some kinda spasm, but it didn't really slow me down. With the tide being so low, there was a lot more rock to use, which was great, although I was slipping a lot, due to minimal shoe traction. Just about halfway through the first third I found that my left sole had loosened from my shoe.

The Surfers Marathon is definitely a shoes-on race. The treacherous footing on the rocks, many areas of sharp rocks, and of course the areas where ignorant party animals break bottles on the beach mean you just don't do the surfers barefoot. also, the Gonubie section, on the tar, is not good for bare feet.



By the time I got to Gonubie the sole was hanging on only at the toe area, and I went off to find a medic, to strap the sole onto the shoe. Guess what? No medics around in the first 500m out of the river, so I tore the sole off the shoe, and carried on like that, one good shoe, and another shoe with no soul(?).

At this point I was still feeling good. Chest okay, legs mostly okay except for the left calf, and I managed to move with some resemblance of a jog. Within one and a half km's I knew I had a problem. The uneven gait was putting strain on my left calf and knee. By favouring the left I was putting strain on the right. Not a happy state of affairs.

Several times I was tempted to pull out, knowing that I had a justifiable reason, but, because I'm too stupid to know better, and because I've got a series of Blog Posts about the Surfers Marathon, and because I wanted to at least catch up to Terry, I pushed on.

As always the Gonubie crowd was great. The cheering, and the support are incredible, and the one or two places they have music, well, the music does help. Well done Gonubie on keeping us going. I'm sure the Gonubie crowd are the reason there are not more people dropping out of the race.

By the time I reached the beach track at German Bay I knew I wouldn't catch anything, or anybody, and that if I finished in time I would be extremely fortunate.

Power walk (?) down the sand track onto the beach, get down to the waterline, and then turn right. I was kinda on auto pilot, trying to keep my left leg in its place, and to ignore the constant jabbing and stabbing with every step. Shuffle and shamble onward. left foot right foot left foot...

The first half of this stretch is pretty rough going, and when I could see the Bonza watering point I knew the sand would be hard and good, so I stopped to take off my shoes and socks, nearly losing my tag in the process. This did help a lot, as I was now able to even out my gait, but, too late, as my left calf and knee were pretty stuffed, and were just not co-operating anymore.

Oh yeah, I tied my laces together and slung the shoes around my neck. The shoes bouncing on my chest made me realise that I had a touch of nipple chafe, so now I was totally miserable, but, because I was off the bus route, and there were no taxis around, I had to finish the race.

Into the Nahhon River, and dragged myself across the river. Thirty seconds of absolute bliss, before it was back onto my feet. I forced myself to shuffle that last 400m, to a finishing time of 2:53:20

Way longer than planned, and a lot more after race pain than I've ever had, but for all that, I did enjoy the 2011 Surfers Marathon.

Gripes about the Surfers? The Prize giving started with little or no warning. We accidentally heard over the PA that they were busy with the prize giving. After the race most runners like to chill for a few minutes before going back to their cars to get fresh clothes to change into, get money, and go back down to the Finish. When we got back there was no food left, and having something to eat after a race is actually a pretty big thing for most athletes. We had a quick drink and ducked off.

Oh yeah. The shoes-for -life Competition lucky draw whatever it was. Did it happen? No-one we spoke to remembered hearing the results, or if there were any lucky draws at all. I suppose the winner of the shoes for life would have been expected to go back along the route to pick up the discarded shoes left along the way. I saw at least 5 pairs that would have fit me...

And, in closing, thanks to all who were on the side of the road cheering and supporting. In order of appearance, as I recall seeing you, Jenn Seady of Love Dogs, Basil (thanks for the beer, and sorry I didn't do it any justice. I was in a hurry at the time), Bernice, Carmen, Samantha, Mr and Mrs Bosch (thanks for singing 'Happy Birthday" to me), June of the Crowned Crane, and then at the finish Basil, Bernice, Basti, Carmen, Samantha and her boyfriend, and Terry.

1 comment:

  1. We were on our way back from the car when we heard the prize giving was underway already - I guess it's the latest we've ever finished the Surfers, so it seemed all to quick before the prize giving started.

    I was pleased to see at the start that the walkers had to wear blue bands on their wrists and were told repeatedly to be sure to start ten minutes AFTER the runners who had red bands - I've been denied a first lady walker position before because of people who entered as walkers starting off with the runners. It was awful, being congratulated along the route and also at the end as "the first lady walker in" as I handed in my chip, only to find at prize giving they called out somebody elses name as first lady walker (obviously having crossed the finish line well ahead of me as had started the race with the runners, and, according to the time recorded, must have run a bit too.) The blue and red wrist bands is a great idea and I hope all people who enter as walkers stick to starting with the walkers in future. Winning the ladies walk 15 km Cabbage Patch in Komga that same year was a bit of consolation, but not enough.

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)