Saturday, June 12, 2010

1973: Sorrow, but not really.

1973 dawned fresh and clear one sunny Summer morning. It fell over Tygerberg Koppie, and rolled over Bothasig, quietly.

The Bothasig Primary Schooling system had had enough of me, and tossed me onward to the tender mercies of the High School system. Had they sent me back to Kindergarten, which I am sure is an option several teachers did entertain, it would have meant coming through their classes again. A prospect they did not relish, so, High School it was.

It was a new adventure, the beginning of great things.

Our Standard 6 teacher at Bosmansdam High in 1973 was Mr La Grange. He was La Grange senior, as his younger brother also taught at Bosmansdam High.

Brylcremed short back and sides, highly polished black shoes with grey flannels, pale blue shirt and buttoned up navy blue blazers enveloped the boys. The girls wore white socks, and Navy gyms. All faces freshly scrubbed. And so went off to meet Mr La Grangr Snr.

Our introductions, initially were cordial, and I'm sure many of the kids in my class were quite relieved that our new teacher seemed to be such a nice guy.

And then it happened!

Peter Fortune, suffering from a momentary lapse of sorts responded to a question La Grange asked with a "Yes miss"!

And a quick correction, "er no sir, yes sir", just didn't quite save the situation enough.

La Grange exploded.

" I am NOT your BLOODY MISS!" was thrown out at poor Peter, in a bellow that would have done any Regimental Sergeant-Major proud.

Peter cringed.

The whole class cringed.

I saw my last years of school in being equally as miserable as my first had been.

Thank heavens for the music. 1973 was ushered in by Michael Jackson and "Ben", with the late great king of Rock, Elvis releasing "Burning Love" early in the year.

The year started well, and got better, with notable releases being Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues; You're So Vain - Carly Simon; Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations;

In fact, here in South Africa, the whole year was filled with good music. I have to include the entire Top Twenty for 1973!

   1. I DON'T WANNA PLAY HOUSE - Barbara Ray
   2. HEAVEN IS MY WOMAN'S LOVE - Tommy Overstreet
   3. SORROW - David Bowie
   4. I'D LOVE YOU TO WANT ME - Lobo
   5. WE BELIEVE IN TOMORROW - Freddy Breck
   6. CAN'T KEEP IT IN - Cat Stevens
   7. KENTUCKY BLUES - Lauren Copley
   8. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER - Shirley Bassey
   9. CLAP YOUR HANDS AND STAMP YOUR FEET - Maria
  10. TIE A YELLOW RIBBON ROUND THE OLD OAK TREE - Tony Orlando & Dawn
  11. BABY BLUE - George Baker Selection
  12. TAKE ME TO THE MARDI GRAS - Paul Simon
  13. I NEED YOUR LOVE - Letta Mbulu
  14. WOMAN, BEAUTIFUL WOMAN - Don Gibson
  15. THE LOVE IN YOUR EYES - Vicky Leandros
  16. I'M ON FIRE - Maria
  17. AND I LOVE YOU SO - Perry Como
  18. THAT'S WHY I LOVE YOU - Richard Jon Smith
  19. MAORI LOVE SONG - Double Vision
  20. I WANNA LIVE - Tommy Oliver

My video pick for the year of 1973? With great difficulty, I eventually decided on:






The Lyrics selection for 1973 was equally taxing, and I settled for this:

I'm comin' home, I've done my time
Now I've got to know what is and isn't mine
If you received my letter telling you I'd soon be free
Then you'll know just what to do
If you still want me
If you still want me

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do ya still want me (still want me)
If I don't see a ribbon 'round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree

Bus driver, please look for me
'cause I couldn't bear to see what I might see
I'm really still in prison
And my love, she holds the key
A simple yellow ribbon's what I need to set me free
I wrote and told her please

Whoa, tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree
It's been three long years
Do ya still want me (still want me)
If I don't see a ribbon 'round the old oak tree
I'll stay on the bus
Forget about us
Put the blame on me
If I don't see a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree

Now the whole damned bus is cheerin'
And I can't believe I see
A hundred yellow ribbons 'round the old oak tree

I'm comin' home, mmm, mmm

(Tie a ribbon 'round the old oak tree)
...

Tony Orlando & Dawn

If you don't that song, you don't know nothin'....


Top Twenty from:http://www.rock.co.za
and the lyrics from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart

1 comment:

  1. Cool list, Tony - even though I was only four at the time these songs were on the top twenty list - my favourite two there are:
    I don't wanna play house
    and
    Clap your hands and stamp your feet
    Cool!

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)