Monday, June 7, 2010

WIMPY COFFEE, not on special: 12cent!

1971 disappeared into history, taking with it bad memories of school. 1972 didn't seem to hold out any hope for much better, but, I was to be surprised. Mrs Joppich was Cool! The strict discipline of the previous 2 years were nothing but a memory.

It's amazing how some things will stay with you forever. For me, a perpetual reminder of those better days, when we had no cares or problems, is in the music of the time.

1972 was the year of:
  • Compulsory National Service  for all white males in South Africa went from 9 to 12 months
  • Volkswagen Beetle number 15,007,000 rolled off the production line
  • Bobby Fischer defeats Boris Spassky and becomes the first American chess champion
  • And lets not forget, for Facebooks junk food expert, Angela Brace, Wimpy Coffee:- only 12c a cup!

1972 was the year of Lieutenant Pigeon's Mouldy Old Dough.



Another Big song in South Africa at the time was "I can see clearly now" from Johnny Nash, and I must not forget to include the song that EVERY kid in Bothasig knew off by heart. The Song?

"I rode my bicycle past your window last night...."

Yes. Brand new key, by the still going strong Melanie Kafka.

Of course we all knew  "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" from  Joan Baez and  the song Madonna repopularised a few years back: "American Pie", originally by  Don McLean.


Softly Whispering I Love You, the Congregation

I can feel your warm face
ever close to my lips
and the scent of you invades
the cool evening air
I can close my eyes and you're there in my arms
still and I know your soft kiss turning into music ev'ry beat
of my heart
when I hold you close to my heart

and I hear your voice whispering
I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, Tony - I loooove Brand New Key by Melanie Kafka, and hey, I love you too, hey :)

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)