Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Winter Warmers

Generally I go through any given year from day to day.

If it's cold, I add clothes.

If its warm, I remove clothes.

I mean, what's the point in getting hung up over the temperature outside?

Since moving to East London from Bloemfontein, I must admit that the winter cold here was pretty much hardly worth noticing. Until I got what is now my favourite jacket.

Now, in order to wear the jacket, more of a coat really, I need to fel the cold, and I have been doing just that very conscientiously.

This evening, rather than go on a musical mind blast into the past, I dredged up a few memories from years gone by. What I found surprising is that it appears that when people get married and start having CHILDREN, they forget to live!

There is nothing I used to do that I would not do again, with my children present. Okay, okay, maybe a little less boozing.

I remember, in no particular order, or rank of preference:

Beach braais, complete with guitars, tape decks, Beach Boys, Old Brown Sherry and Tassenberg.

I remember the Chelsea Arms, their amazing Shepherds Pie, with a tankard of beer, and the Riverboat Jazz Band. The early afternoon would rapidly become night, and many OBS's would be lost in action.

I remember coffe at the Wimpy, on the way home from sailing.

I remember the very first time I had alcohol! It was Roger Bartholomew who poured a coffee mug of tassies for me, out at Voelvlei.

I remember going for a hike in Bainskloof with 2 friends, also students, and because it was pouring with rain we couldn't braai, so we Tassenberged instead.

I remember walking to the hotel in Greyton, before Greyton had street lights, and only the main road was tarred. At the hotel we would watch the Saturday night movie through the bottom of a glass.

I remember 'camping out' in the lounge during power failures, playing cards in front of a roaring fire, with a bottle of Old brown Sherry very close by.

I remember going to a church 'bring your own' fellowship lunch, and once the minister had left, joining the rest of the guys to collect the drinks from the cars. On that occassion, sadly, no Tassenberg, although OBS was present, along with a Nederburg Cab and a Pinotage of sorts.

At college I remember several of us ducking into a Licenced Wimpy on a Sunday, and sharing a plate of chips (between 6 of us. Guys and gals.) So that we could have a few drinks while the rain poured down outside.

I remember several very decent Old Browns at the Alaska in Bellville, and then 'space-walking' up D'Urban Street to go to Soundwave.

Ah yes, the memories.

Those were the days, and my kids will never have those experiences....

:(

Are you old enough to have memories such as I have? Share them with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)