Saturday, June 19, 2010

1974 came, and 1974 went, and I didn't even notice...

1974 was totally unremarkable, but for Ms Dreyer, our Accountancy teacher telling me that if I didn't feel like doing my homework, she didn't feel like teaching me.

She did ask me why my homework wasn't done, and I did tell her that I hadn't felt like doing it.
I ended up sitting in the furthest corner of the class, and somehow managed to pass Accountancy as well.

Other than that, 1974 was a blank year.
Had anyone asked me to name just one song from 1974 half an hour ago, I would have embarrassed myself. I didn't have the foggiest.

Now, having done a bit of checking and snooping, its pretty obvious that it was only me that was blank then. I mean, who could forget "The Loco-Motion" from Grand Funk Railroad? Or Blue Swede's "Hooked on a feeling"?

1974 is the year Eric Clapton "Shot The Sheriff', and John Denver sang "Annie's Song".

Olivia Newton-John had a big hit with I Honestly Love You, and Crocodile Harris had the hots for Miss Eva Goodnight

On the South African Springbok Radio Top Twenty Charts, in 1974, the most popular song in South Africa was Kris Kristofferson's "Why me?" and Carl Douglas had every kid in Bothasig "Kung Fu Fighting". Albert Hammond, appropriately, followed on with 'the Peacemaker'.

Terry Jacks brought us "Seasons in the Sun', and in the same year, 'heaven is my woman's love', was twisted into "Heaven is my motorbike" by Sad Tyre. You must also remember "Have you seen her" by the Settlement. I do.

"The Air That I Breathe" was the Hollies major contribution to 1974
Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe
And to love you
All I need is the air that I breathe
Yes to love you
All I need is the air that I breathe

Sometimes, all I need is the air that I breathe
And to love you
All I need is the air that I breathe
Yes to love you
All I need is the air that I breathe
And to love you
All I need is the air that I breathe
Yes to love you

Click here to get the full lyrics

1 comment:

  1. I like that Kung Fu Fighting, it's catchy, and sticks in your head! Hm, perhaps don't always like it, because when it's in your head, and you're trying to concentrate on something else, all that pops up is "Kung Fu Fighting!"

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)