Saturday, June 19, 2010

Father's Day 2010

So I'm getting old and foolish

After about 50 false starts, I think I'm on the right track now.

I'm glad the annual Commercial Holiday known commonly as Father's Day is in fact called Father's Day, and not Daddy's Day.

You see, any guy can be a Father, all that's needed there is a sperm with running shoes, and an egg cell that's a little lonely.

A daddy however is a totally different thing.

A daddy is the guy who's there to throw the baby up in the air until it cries, gurgles with delight, or up-chucks.

A daddy is the guy who is there to take the kids out for a while while mom has a nap

A daddy is the guy who will kiss a grazed knee while cringeing inside cos there is a speck of blood

A daddy is the guy who takes over from mom at 4 am cos she can't stay awake to look after the child with a howling temperature

A daddy will always do his best to ensure his children grow up to be sensible, responsible people

A daddy is a friend, a mentor, a role model

A daddy is a lot things. Daddy's share their children's lives, and together they make memories. The sort of memories that, in later years, the now adult child can recall with joy, and share with their children.

I am a father, but only my children will know if I was a daddy....



hm. update. I may be a father, but not a dad   :) My Muffa phoned me!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet, Tony - and you're being an excellent step DADDY to my boys!

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)