Saturday, June 19, 2010

A letter to my Dad.

I was a little angry with you for leaving when you did.

 It was annoying that you had to wait for me to be out of town to have a stroke, but yes, you did wait for me to get back before you started your final journey.

 At your funeral, it was expected of me, as the eldest son present, to say a few words. I struggled with that, as the lies didn't come easily. When I decided that I would just tell the truth, it all came together. And I'm glad.

 You were difficult. You were obstinate and headstrong.

But you had a streak of tenderness running though you a mile wide.

 I recall how you would pick wild flowers for mom in the field opposite us. I still chuckle when I remember you bringing her stones, because you hadn't seen one 'quite like this one', even though it was just a stone.

 Your happiness when I gave you a bottle of soil from the garden of the house we had lived in in Port Elizabeth was almost overwhelming.

 You rode a motor-bike, and you had to have surgery to fix your nose after a wrestling match. You spent months in hospital recovering from a motor-cycle racing accident, and lost a finger in a work related accident.You played with Nico Carstens in his Skoppelmaai band, and you were a regular feature at the Paarl Wine Festival, keeping Dennis Souma out of trouble. You told a surgeon, minutes before undergoing major surgery, that you weren't at all concerned, as he was the one who would have a problem if you died during the procedure.

 As a child I don't remember much of you. You were the guy I was so shit scared of. You were in the house only at night time.The rest of the time you were working. I realise now that you worked as hard as you did in order to give us as much as possible.

 You gave me my love for wood, and taught me all I know of working with wood. You encouraged my sailing.

 The last I saw you was just after you passed away. I did two things I had never done before.

 I kissed you, and told you I love you.

 Thank you for my being my father, and for being my dad.

3 comments:

  1. I can remember doing all the fences and the cement work and digging the hole for the swimming pool so that us kids could have a really good life.
    Dad worked his butt off to provide for us and give us everything that he never had, like the beautiful house and garden, the sailing dinghies, the encouragement when we started playing all the musical instruments.
    I can remember not wanting to talk to Dad cause I suspected him of having an affair and Mom coming to me in tears and pleading me to go speak to Dad as he was moerse upset 'cause of me not wanting to talk to him. The result of me relenting and making up with Dad was that I was even closer to Dad than ever before, my only wish is that I could have done even more for the folks but they say recrimination always comes to late.
    BUT I will never forget their love for us and my love and respect for them, only wish I could have been more like Dad.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ray.

    I wasn't going to write this letter to Dad, and it was pretty much a spur of the moment thing. I feel better having written it. Thanks again for your insights.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words from two brothers.

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)