Friday, June 4, 2010

Web Design Concepts

So I'm a bit arrogant.

I did a test at Brainbench yesterday as part of my oDesk sign-up process.

Web Design Concepts was the test, and I reckon I did okay. The test covers several fields that are relevant to website design, and I scored an 82% percentile. This does not mean I got 82%. It means I beat 82% of all the others that have taken the test.

What I'm particularly pleased about is that this test is international. It's not a local product, and has many been attempted by many 1000's of web designers. I am largely self taught, and many 'qualified' designers scoff at the idea of independent testing.

I find this interesting, as we go to great lengths to ensure that our base code, of any site, before script insertion, is w3c valid html and css. Why do 'qualified' designers scoff at these tests? Many of their sites, and we have re-designed several of them, do not validate, they break apart in different browsers, or, which happens so often, has a little notice saying something like:"This site is best viewed in IE6 on a 1024 x 768 screen".

It is ant web designers responsibility to their client to ensure maximum viewability, and if that means making sure the site looks equally good in 3 or 4 browsers, it needs to be done, not fobbed off with a lame excuse.

Here is my Test Result, click on the badge below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)