Friday, June 11, 2010

What is a Banana Republic?

Is South Africa a Banana Republic?

Exhaustive research into the Banana Republic and South African qualification as such, came about after a conversation with my brother in the U.K.. In my humble, twisted and totally objective opinion regarding this somewhat subjective topic, my answer must be:

dunno....

yes

no

not yet

wait and see

who cares

Or, none of the above.

Alternately, based on the evidence I am about to provide, and using your own cognisant powers of observation, and logic, you decide for yourself!



Generally, when researching, my first stop is Wikipedia. I can find anything there to substantiate my arguments. I also used another reference source, viz. Wisegeek
  • Below are features common to Banana Republics:
  • politically unstable,
  • dependent on limited agriculture
  • ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy, and corrupt clique
  • sham democracies
  • Corruption at all levels
  • a system rife with bribes
  • black markets
  • Increasing privatization  of basic social services
From the list we can extract several features common to South Africa, although we do not yet have all, they will get here.

The question that arises from these observations, is what colour will the headband on bra Jules Malmoers hat be?

Now having written this, my opinion regarding South Africa and its qualification for entry into the International Association of Misunderstood Democracies becomes clear.

Before final admission into aforementioned society of Banana Republics can be finalized, PLEASE change the name of the country. Sorry bra Jakes, but I am proudly South African. I am NOT proud of what the ANC have turned it into. South Africa has the potential to be a major international force, in all fields, if managed properly.

So okay, I didn't, won't, and don't support the ANC. I also don't eat jelly or hug trees. That's my choice in life. But if South Africa is going to take the final little toddler steps to becoming a Full Blown Banana Republic, let it not be as South Africa.

Oh yes, the picture up top? It's the official Banana Republic flag...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)