Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Liver Steak with onions

As a one time bachelor, I had to learn to feed myself. That was easy, a tin of something heated in the kettle that was boiling water for coffee did the trick. Then I aged a bit, settled down, and started playing around in the kitchen.

I found that cooking good wholesome meals is actually not that difficult. I have no clue about kilojoules and cholestrol and dietary fibre. My cooking is based on consumer reaction. YUM!, is where good food will be found.

One of my favourite meals, because it is so easy, is liver. There are probably millions of ways to prepare liver. This evening I did Liver Steak, and liver is not liver without onion, so, onion is there too.


Getting everything ready at the right time is an art, especially with liver, as it is so easy to overcook.

I selected 4 potatoes, scrubbed them, and put them on to boil.

Then, onto the onions. 6 of these indispensable kitchen veg were peeled, and reduced to slices. Somewhere about slicing onion 4 I switched the stove plate on, and dashed a promise of oil onto the bottom. Just enough to leave a layer of about 2 mm of oil in the bottom of the pot. The a slice of onion went in. I use that slice to gauge when the rest of the onion goes in.

When the onion slice in the pot is really hissing and spitting, with slightly burnty looking edges, the rest of the onions go in. The oil needs to be really hot. Stir the onions every now and then.

Now start getting everything else ready.

You will need:

The liver
Topping for the potato.

I used live culture yoghurt, real butter, a touch of grated carrot (for colour), and a pinch of dried parsley. At the end I decided to use black pepper as well.

I decided to thicken the onion mess, so it was 2 largeish tablespoons of Maizena into a large glass of water.

The liver on its own can be a bit bland, so I got some Worcester sauce, and some mustard ready for that.

By now the onions were nearly done, so I started the liver Steaks for Terry's folks. They prefer their meat very dead, so a bit longer on the stove was not a problem.

To do the liver, a lump of heart friendly margarine was tossed into a hot pan, and as soon as it was melted, the liver went in. What I have found is that if the liver is turned too soon, it takes longer to cook, and consequently the outsides go hard. To get away from this, I leave the liver on the side it went in. Then I add water to the pan, about 75ml at a time. I don't want to cool the pan down, I want to cook the liver. Quickly.

Between liver watching, I add the maizena stuff to the onions, and turn the heat right down. There is enough residual heat to keep the onions happy till the end.

You will see the liver cooking, it changes colour on the outside edges, and when the edges have changed colour all the way to the top, you can turn the liver.

 Sear the liver on the previously raw side, and keep the liver moist. Now, splash worcester sauce into the pan, and over the liver. Turn the liver, and slap a touch of mustard onto it. Keep it moist. Add water. Turn every so often.

Fish a potato out of the spud pot, cut a groove into it, introduce it to a teaspoon or so of yoghurt, and a teaspoon or so of heart unfriendly butter, scatter carrot, and then grate some black pepper over.

Decide a garnish is needed.
Quickly raid the fridge, yes, a tomato, and an apple. Great! Slice,slice, slice, slice!

Do another potato, and add the garnish to the prepared plates.

Plates to the stove, and ladle some onion onto it. Finally, the liver, on top of the onion.
Serve now!

Sod bon apetit, lekka vreet! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Another interesting blog that I found from Google. I appreciate the way this is written.

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)