Monday, May 10, 2010

Quick, simple, and tasty Boerewors rolls

It was me in the kitchen this evening, and due to a last minute errand I was unable to start my kitchenary exploits on time.

When we got back it was pretty much straight to pot and pan duty.

Due to the time restraints, I did not do all I was going to, but was still pretty impressed with the results. It was destined to be Boerewors rolls all along, but I was going to create some of my tomato and onion relish to go with it.
Guess what?
No tomato and onion relish!

If you're trying to get ahead of me, and you have your pan and your oil ready, rather than carry on, go shoot yourself through the head.

Cooking oil, and any other fat, do not get used with sausage. Ever. Period!

About 6mm of water into the pan, pan onto the stove, and stove turned up high.

I bought Vincent Spar's farm style boerewors, and their plain beef sausage. I usually get Vernon's Braaiwors, but we had no reason to go to OK foods today. The sausages were divided into 4, twisted, and cut on the twist.

Sausages were dumped into the pan, and then re-arranged a bit.

I chased the rolls (still in the plastic packet) throught he microwave for about 15 seconds, and then left them to recover a bit after the ordeal. While the rolls recovered and the sausage cooked, I got the plates out, got a knife or several ready, and then scrounged through the grocery cupboard, looking for suitable condiments.

I try to mentally 'taste' a meal while I'm preparing it, to see how various things will complement each other, or, bring out various flavours I want highlighted. This is what I was now doing, looking for complementary flavours.

Tomato sauce, chutney, mustard sauce, and then finally, a sweet chilli sauce. With all this ready, and the sausage just starting to catch, I first added a touch of water to the pan. as the water spread around, I wiggled the sausage closest to the boiling bubbling water loose from the pan, and turned it over.

With all the sausages turned, a few more mm of water, and then to the rolls.

Serrated knife, slice the top of the roll. Marge into the roll. Chutney, about a tablespoon full. Mustard the same. Then the same of tomato sauce. Only 2 people get chilli, and then its not too much.

Sausages are ready, that is, starting to catch again. Same as before, a little water, and a little wiggle. Get all the sausages loose, and then dive into action.

Each person gets a piece of boerewors, and a piece of beef sausage. The sausages are introduced to the rolls, and the rolls are introduced to the consumers.

All done. What you should do, is pour the pan 'juice' over your Gilly's food. She will totally dig you for it.

Anyway, cheers, its eating time,
Lekker vreet!

1 comment:

  1. "Boeries" are tops! Add some finely chopped green peppers to your relish. Makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)