Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wordpress on Blogger?

Round about the time I started with my Wordpress for beginners, step by step tutorials, Terry asked me why I use BlogSpot instead of Wordpress.com as a platform to rave on about Wordpress. To say that the question floored me would be an understatement. I mean, surely everyone knows that Wordpress is the best base on which to build a blog or content management system, so it’s natural to rave on about it. The ‘valid ‘part of the question is why I use Blogger as a platform, and not a Wordpress platform?


This actually had me thinking a bit, as my decisions regarding the platform had been made so deeply in my sub-conscious that I had to dredge them out of the dark and gloomy depths of what may have been a promising intellect 50 years ago. After some dusting and shining, a good wash and a steam clean, I was able to fully understand my now sanitised reasoning process.

And it’s actually very simple.

Wordpress is recognized internationally as the best blog/cms platform system.
Between Terry and me we have 9 websites/blogs to look after. 7 Are ours, Terry has a personal (free) blog, and I have a personal (free) blog.
Our main website has two blogs. With the exception of the ‘personal’ blogs, all our blogs are Wordpress. The remaining 3 are BlogSpot.

We don’t have really enough time to spend blogging.
Due to the fact that Wordpress is so powerful (although easy to use), it takes a bit longer to post on Wordpress than it does on BlogSpot. Time is an issue for us.

Wordpress is great for search engines. BlogSpot is okayish.

We earn a living on the internet. For that reason we need to monetize, or be able to monetize on every word we publish to the internet. We could get free blogs from Wordpress.com, but as I have just mentioned, we need to monetize. On wordpress.com we cannot. On BlogSpot we can.

This is my personal blog; Terry’s personal blog is also on BlogSpot. When we get our own hosted (Wordpress) blogs we will move together, but for now, we stay here.

If you want an internet presence, think about your options carefully. For personal use, or for a club, consider using a free service. If monetizing is a factor, BlogSpot is the way to go. If (somewhat limited) flexibility is what you want, with an awesome collection of themes, Wordpress.com is your choice.

For a business of any sort, and I cannot stress this enough, your own hosted domain is the only option. Free options are cool, and don’t cost much, but you and your business will lose credibility, and that will cost a packet.



Credits:
Wordpress logo:Design by Rohman Abdul Manap (http://www.blogspottutorial.com/)
Blogger logo: Mysitemyway ETC Network  (http://icons.mysitemyway.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be civil. I go to a lot of trouble writing for you, so you can at least leave a comment. :)